Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tiki Barber wants back in the NFL at the age of 36… Say What?

Dave Pruitt, Sports Emerge
http://sportsemerge.com/
Tiki Barber was once a force coming out of the back field for the New York Giants as a primetime NFL running back.  He walked away from the game because the lack of passion at the end of the 2006 NFL postseason as the New York Giants’ all-time rushing and reception leader.  He was 31 and he retired?
I’m 30 & I feel like I’m just now starting, I’m in my prime baby!
This isn’t about me but Barber left the game to chase his dream to become a correspondent for NBC’s The Today Show and Football Night in America/Sunday Night Football.
When I heard he was leaving to do broadcasting I thought, “hell, if you say so.” 
But when I saw his first broadcast I thought, “he’s horrible… He ain’t gonna’ make it.”
Sure enough he disappeared from our TV screens until he spoke to Armen Keteyian on HBO’s Real Sports about his return to the NFLReturning after sitting out 4 years & at the age of 36, a feat that no running back has ever accomplished.
So what… On March 8, 2011, Barber filed papers with the NFL to come out of retirement.
Barber started, “I need to prove to myself that I can be successful at something.  I know I’m going to be successful at something.”
Something skeptics thinks will not turn out well, Mark Schlerith on ESPN’s NFL Live comparing Barber’s return to Plaxico Burress’, “but Tiki Barber been away for 4 years, Man.  I can’t imagine coming back after 4 years & getting hit by people.”
He expressed seemingly concerned for Tiki, “the running back postion, let’s face it even if you touch the ball 10 times a game, guess what.  You’re getting hit 10 times a game by 10 guys at once.”
Schlerith continued, “I mean it’s one of those positions that beats you down… and you know he may make it for a while but it’s going to beat you up.”
My sentiments exactly, being that the running back position is the most short lived position in the NFL.  He left in the 1st place because he didn’t want to do it, after he gets hit a couple times I wonder if he’ll be reminded & just leave again.  Like in the middle of a game or something, get hit by someone like a Ray Lewis & peel himself of the gridiron & walk straight out the gate.
If he did…  That would be hilarious.
In the interview on HBO Real Sports Barber continued to explain his position, “The Game never needs you, because there is always someone else to come take your place, but right now I need the Game.”
Yeah Tiki, tell me about, doesn’t everybody? (End the lock out.)
Barber expressed how he felt when he was asked about the fans & him leaving.  “I felt like, (people) they were trying to dictate what I should do with my life.  ‘How dare you walk away from it.’”  Sternly, “I tell you how I dare, because I don’t want to do it anymore, I don’t have the passion to do it anymore & it rubbed people the wrong way.”
Your broadcast skills rubbed me the wrong way, you just wasn’t good, didn’t have the personality for TV.  I’m just sayin’… 
I don’t believe Tiki Barber will survive his second shot in the NFL.  This is the year of revive your career in the NFL with Barber joining Plaxico Burress & Donovan McNabb on their comeback journey.
Oh, McNabb didn’t go any where & according to him, he’ll prove it to the fans & journalist this upcoming season, he reffered to as “special.” We’ll see McNabb, I just don’t believe you’ve ever recovered from your T.O. experience.
I digress, let’s welcome Tiki Barber back with open arms into the NFL labor agreement.  I wish the old guy luck, hopefully much better luck than with his broadcasting career even he  feels was a “failure.”  Indeed.
It is what it is…

No comments:

Post a Comment